Thursday, May 05, 2016

Book Club posters...and a little lesson learnt

A couple of weeks ago instead of doing a "complicated" worksheet about the books that they read, we just drew pretty pictures about the books in lovely frames... and the best ones got to go on the poster to show what we do at Book Club:
In the end, I made two - one for the Home and one for the Library. It says "Readers Club of Children's Home "Rada Vranjesevic" and "This project wouldn't be possible without the support of the Children's Library in Borik and all our wonderful volunteers. Thank-you so much!"
See if you can see the two "Ugly Ducklings" and one on "Stories about flying". You can't tell, but there are also 3 "To die from laughing" joke books, which are actually their favourite - there is a whole series of 10 or 11 of them, and they are all very popular with our book club kids... anything that will get them actually reading is fine by me :)

Tonight, at the Book Club at the Home, I was doing my normal keeping the peace routine with the troublemakers... and one of the students who is actually studying pedagogy told me she had learnt something very important from me: I took one of the boys making trouble aside and instead of just haranguing him and telling him to sit down and be good, I simply asked him how he enjoyed spending Easter with his family. (I was actually interested to see how it was, as he and his siblings hadn't been home in a while). And then when we had finished chatting, I told him, OK, now it is time to sit down and do some work. And he did!

She said that she had expected me to get into him right away, but saw how taking the time out with him made him calm down (my other technique is hugging, which is a BIG success...) and giving him the attention he needed gave him the impetus to then actually get back to work. I might not have studied pedagogy and child psychology, but I do pray a lot, and my wisdom to deal with troubled kids, definitely comes from above! I might not always get it right (and frankly, sometimes you do just have to SHOUT in order for them to hear you), but it is nice to know that I can be a good example even for the volunteers... 

2 comments:

Victor said...

Soooo soooo good. I love the pedagogical tip! In learning sciences, there are three types of designer-facilitator knowledge.

1) Pedagogical knowledge (the development psychologists and pedagogical experts have this)

2) Content knowledge

3) Pedagogical content knowledge - this is the knowledge that actual practitioners who teach the material have from experience that an education expert may not have (nor a content expert); this knowledge (and skill) is really SUPER important and sometimes most important.

Great stuff. I'm doing adult education at the moment but I am keeping your tip in my toolkit!

Belinda Chaplin said...

I am really good friends with the psychologist in the home as well (we are neighbours so go walking together around the park near our houses) and she was also telling me that some of the ways that I deal with things are something that they have been taught to think about, but she sees how I put things into practice. So, these categories are quite interesting and very informative. I had never thought about it in these terms...

An example of how I have put pedagogy into practice is something I always do is if the kids ask me for something not in a nice way "give me a pencil" for instance, I always say "sorry I can't hear you" and I keep going even if they start shouting (it is usually quite loud as there are 30-50 of us in one room) and they can even get frustrated... Sometimes another kid who knows the trick tells them, or sometimes I tell them eventually - "I can't hear you when you talk like that, ask me nicely" or "say please" and you can see the light bulb go on. And now the kids know they have to ask me nicely or else they don't get it, and if I say "I am sorry, I can't hear you" they are quick to respond politely :) Hopefully they are learning to be polite in other contexts as well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...