Sunday, April 10, 2016

Two English classes...something old and something new... :)

This week I started teaching English to two new groups. The first group is something I am familiar with: adults, doing conversational English - games, fun and activities all to get them to speak as much English as they can :) I have been doing it for 9 years now and I still love it... I love encouraging people to build up their confidence in a foreign language, as it builds up confidence in other areas as well. And I love making it fun for everyone, including myself :)
And the second group is something I haven't really ever done before... kids. Well, I actually did do two years of trying to do English with the kids at the Children's home... but it was more like organised chaos with a sprinkle of English if I am to be honest :) 

At the end of last year, we added 30 1st and 2nd graders to the child sponsorship project through the Finnish organisation, Fida, and so wanted to do some fun English with them, so it had to be less chaos and more English... learning while they don't realise they are learning!
Through song, colouring, games, fun activities, and LOTS of repetition we are managing to learn some English and have lots of fun all at the same time... (some of the kids can't write yet even in their own language, and most of those that can, can only do Cyrillic lettering, so there are a few challenges!)
We are using the older kids from the project as volunteers along with other local volunteers, which makes the classes easier for me to manage and really fun for the kids!
Sina from Finland (who is the regional child sponsorship coordinator for Fida) is here at the moment so she came to join our class to see what we are up to:
And thanks to Ljilja for all the lovely photos... here she is with all of us at the end of the class today...
I think we had fun, and hopefully something actually went in. I know Ljilja, Sina and I are all still singing the songs :) 

1 comment:

Victor said...

Very cool. I love language learning and prefer when it is communal!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...