Saturday, April 09, 2016

Adventures with the Children's Home kids...

This week was our third trip to the library for this year... And it is no longer pitch dark when we get there, in fact since the clocks turned 2 weeks ago, it is still quite light. So, after we had chosen our books, we took advantage of the lovely weather and the fact that it was still light (and got out of the librarian's hair!) and went to hang out at the little playground around the corner from the library. And I think the kids had a great time...
I hung out with the kids on this side of the playground, while other volunteers had the other side and the slides under control: It isn't a very big playground, but with lots of other kids it was not that easy to keep control of our 15. But luckily they are good kids so no one went wondering off :)
I love this next photo as it just shows the pure joy that swings can bring. The kids have their own playground at the Home, so it isn't that they don't get to do this, but having cool volunteers to hang out with and all the attention that that brings definitely adds to the fun!
And one exciting difference was the appearance of "Baki" (one of our volunteers knows his owner) who sat there and let them pet him without a problem. Good dog!
As you can see, it was a fun evening, and the kids enjoyed it even though we didn't get ice-cream (usually we do when we go to the park, but it was still a bit cold for that...maybe next time!)

I love these kids and being able to give them little fun adventures - even just going to the library in the kombi is an adventure for them, so with the park added in it is a bonus!

Another bonus adventure was last time we went to the library in the kombi: getting pulled over by Mr Policeman in a random traffic stop...

Now, some background is that my wallet was stolen when I was in England in March, and my driver's license was in it, and getting a new one in South Africa took up until now (and I still have to get it here to Bosnia). So, I am driving in the meantime without one...

And when I drive the kids, all of them want to go, and it is really hard to not just take all of them... you say "no" to them, I can't... So I had 14 kids in the kombi. There was also a team from the Czech Republic and some of them wanted to come and another volunteer also always comes along, so I had 4 adults plus myself... which if you can do math makes 19 of us in a van that is registered to take 9 :) And so the last adventure I wanted was to be stopped by the police!!!!!!

But, by the grace of God, I managed to stay calm and the policeman was very nice... I said I didn't have my license on me as it was in my other wallet (which it is... just somewhere in England, having been stolen, ha ha), and so he just asked for some other form of id (and luckily I did have my passport on me!) I then admitted to having too many kids in the kombi, but didn't admit to the exact number... just said "about a dozen"...(and didn't mention the 4 volunteers), but he was cool with it as they are from the Children's Home and so in the end just let us go. I think his main job is to see if the vehicle is registered and if it is stolen (and it is registered and it is not stolen) so anything else was OK!! Yay!!

I am still amazed that I got away with it... and all of the kids afterwards were also sharing how scared they were and how cool it was that nothing happened to us. The poor Czechs were also a bit scared as they didn't know what was going on language wise... but in the end it all worked out and it was one more adventure that I could provide for the kids that they are still talking about today! Ha ha!

p.s. I deliberately chose photos which aren't identifiable, so if you don't like my fuzzy photos, I am sorry :) 

1 comment:

Victor said...

Whew!!! How lucky you were. I'm glad he was nice. I also think, at least in the US, being the opposite sex helps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...