Friday, March 18, 2016

The JOY of the Lord

I found this wonderful colouring page a while ago on thevictoryroad.com and had it for when I would have time to colour... I had heard about the fact that colouring is now becoming the thing to do as adults, and so I thought I would see what it is all about. 

I know that the children I work with love to colour, especially those at the Children's Home, and I know that it calms them, so I could see the benefit for them... And in this crazy life, I know that there are times I long for the calming, stilling, "just being"-ness that something like colouring would bring. 

And yet, I still didn't try it. I didn't find the time. Until time found me... After a crazy trip to three countries and a lot of conference and meetings, I found myself unwell. It was inevitable as in my last destination I was in meetings all day with someone with a cold... oh well.  After 5 days of being good and resting, (even cancelling a trip I was supposed to take) and thinking I was better, I managed to get up and carry on with my normal craziness - and after 2 days of that, I was hit by a second wave of illness worse than the first... After a trip to the doctor and a diagnosis of sinusitis and bronchitis and a prescription of antibiotics and "REST" (she even put it in capital letters so I really would get the idea...), I decided to actually do some resting... 
And so, during the time of rest, I finally found time to do some colouring... and of course I found that I enjoyed it! I love the meditative nature of choosing the colours, focusing on the words while colouring and repeating over and over to myself - the JOY of the LORD is my STRENGTH. In this time when I am without strength, it is good to be reminded!!

I am not really an artist, but I can find JOY in bringing a blank colouring page to life! 

It was also good to know that the world doesn't collapse without me in it. Things carry on without me (I have a good band of people around me to fill in!) and so I can take time to rest and get my strength back up before moving on to the next thing that God has for me...

2 comments:

Michele Womble said...

"It was also good to know that the world doesn't collapse without me in it." Oh yes - it's so hard to believe that everything won't go to pieces if we step back, isn't it! I love your picture - it's beautiful! and a great way to take some time to rest and also be focused on God...

Amy Young said...

I love how your doctor prescribed REST and even wrote it in big letters so you'd get it :). Why is it that sometimes resting is so hard :). I liked seeing your picture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...