Friday, March 04, 2016

Dan Žena (Women's Day)

We had our first Book Club of 2016 last night. I have gone a couple of times to visit the kids at the Children's Home in the meantime, and had a meeting with our volunteers (where we talk details and then I also got them to sharpen all the pencil crayons so I didn't have to do it all by myself!), but we waited until now to have our first actual Book Club.

Here it is customary to give cards and flowers to women for Women's Day (which is on Tuesday, March 8th) so we made cards for their teachers, carers and mothers (unfortunately the reality is that a lot of the kids have moms who can't/won't take care of them). As usual it was organised chaos, but I think everyone had a really good time:
After I took this picture more kids arrived, so this table also filled up... we ended up with over 30 kids and there were about 15 volunteers. I didn't get to take many pictures as I was doing crowd control :)
And who says that making crafts is just for girls? Some of the boys really got into it... Here is M with his creation for his carer.
And his little brother D with a car - don't ask! (also for his carer)
Now, when I arrived I got three notes - the paper all pulled out from the same notebook and all saying "I love you Aunty Belinda" and "Happy Women's Day". It always warms my heart to get something like this, but this time I was especially touched, because one of the notes was from a new child whom I only met last night... She had only heard about me from her friends and yet she wanted to give me something... Must be doing something right when they love me just by reputation :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...