Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Book Review | The Jazz Files

When my wonderful friend Fiona started talking about writing a crime novel set in the 1920s, I really looked forward to reading it. So, when she offered to send a signed copy to read and review on my blog, I was very happy to oblige! And I am so glad that I had a chance to read this amazing book - it really was a page turner, and also filled with wonderful history factoids. I love books that keep me reading, but also inform me about another era or time or place, and this book certainly does that.

The Jazz Files is the first in the series of novels featuring the novice reporter/crime fighter, Poppy Denby. Poppy has an aunt, Dorothy, who was in the suffragette movement, and Fiona skillfully weaves the history of these courageous women into the story. Along with snippets from WWI, and references to the Spanish flu which also played a bit part in the post-war period.

Working as a novice reporter, Poppy is drawn into a fascinating mystery which takes many twists and turns. She is also enamoured with a photographer/love interest, Daniel, and helped by her new friend/actress Delilah.

I am really looking forward to the next one in the series, and as Fiona is promising a decade long series of books about Poppy, I am going to be a happy girl for a long time methinks!

2 comments:

Victor said...

Cool. What's the target audience for the novel? Young adult? And you didn't mention why it was called the jazz files? What role does jazz play in the novel?

Belinda Chaplin said...

I think this is a book that is for all ages. I didn't mention why it was called the jazz files as you will have to read it to find out ha ha... but it isn't because of jazz music:) However, jazz is just starting to be a thing in the time it was set, so it does play a part in the novel :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...