Saturday, June 20, 2015

Blogging for books review: If God is good

"If God is good" by best-selling author, Randy Alcorn, takes a look at the age-old question of suffering. Just the other night we did an activity at our English class here in Banja Luka, where we mingle and ask each other questions on slips of paper and then switch questions and carry on. One of the questions was "If you had one question to ask God, what would it be?". I actually got that question to ask three times during the activity and twice the person's question to God was "Why is there suffering in the world?"

I wish the activity was also for me to answer the question, because I feel like I have a good handle on it after finishing Randy's book. It took a long time to read as it is really in-depth and looks at all sorts of angles. It is divided into 11 sections ranging from "Understanding evil: its origins, nature and consequences" to "Living meaningfully in suffering".

Each section is like a mini-sermon which can be taken on its own or in the greater context of the book. Filled with real-life stories and examples to make things easier to read, and also clearer, the book, though long is not tiring, and really goes in depth into this subject.

One quote that really spoke to me is and sums it up well is this:
"The world has gone terribly wrong.
God is going to fix it.
First, for his eternal glory.
Second, for our eternal good. "

I would highly recommend this book for anyone searching for the meaning in suffering, or working with people who are.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the blogging for books <http://www.bloggingforbooks.com/> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...