Saturday, March 21, 2015

Back safely in Bosnia

I arrived back on Wednesday after my shortest trip back ever: 22 hours door to door - thanks to a quick jump through Heathrow and convincing the driver to let me onto the Zagreb-Banja Luka bus without a ticket as I didn't have time to get one - I did pay him on the bus! It usually takes more than 24 hours, so this was great!

It was a lovely summer break in the middle of winter, and I have arrived back to lovely spring weather - up to 17C today :) Long may it continue! I have already been at the Children's Home for our book club and it was so great to see them all (not so great to be told after hugging all of them that they are fighting a bout of lice... luckily I still have lice shampoo after getting rid of them after last year's camp: working with kids is never dull!)

Looking back at my time in South Africa, I was really blessed to catch up with old friends, make some new ones, spend time with family, have fun with Mom and others at the beach, go to lots of shows and concerts with my Mom, and just have a good time :)

Spending time with family: Chinese evening with my aunt, cousin and mom at my cousin's university: Stellenbosch. Lots of good food and fun!
Another highlight was getting a photo with Pieter Dirk Uys (a South African comedian) after his show:
I realise that I went twice to my school friend, Alan Committie's show (once in Cape Town and once in Joburg), but didn't get a photo with him :( He is now also a well-known South African comedian and to think I knew him when he was joking with us in the back of Maths class! And his show was so good I decided to go again!

My last weekend passed in a bit of a blur, which made it easier not to think about the fact that I was leaving...

On Friday I went to lunch with my mom and our friend, Anne, who took this lovely photo of the two of us:
On Saturday, I went to Cape Town's amusement park "Ratanga Junction" with my friends the Bennetts: Here I am with Sarah:
And here is the whole Bennett clan:
It really is something you need to do with kids - and good friends to hang out with, so I am glad that it worked out for us to do it together :)

On the Sunday we had some of my father's side of the family over for a braai - some I hadn't seen since I was a little girl, so that was lovely! Cousins, second cousins, third cousins, aunts and uncles - aren't we a lovely bunch:
And then it was time to leave, and every time I leave whichever side, I have to say goodbye to people... I came across this A.A. Milne quote which kind of sums it up...

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

Now, after saying the hard goodbyes and leaving that behind me, it is back to living life here in Banja Luka, with lots of things happening in the next few months! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...