Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Merry (Orthodox) Christmas

Yes, today Christmas is being celebrated throughout the Orthodox Christian world. You can read more about Orthodox Christmas in my post from 2010. I am in South Africa right now, having travelled here after "my" Christmas to spend two months having a bit of a break and a catch up with my family, friends and Church here in Cape Town.

Around the December Christmas, I read this wonderful Christmas themed book called "Forever Christmas" by Robert Tate Miller. I love to read and watch Christmas films around Christmastime, as it helps me get into the spirit of Christmas and remember why we celebrate. I read the book through the booklook bloggers program, and needed to give a review of it in exchange for getting the book for free. Things were really busy at the end of my stay in Bosnia, and even more so when I first got to South Africa, so I haven't had a chance to put "pen to paper" so to speak and put the review on my blog... but I decided with today being Orthodox Christmas, that it is a good a time as any to review a Christmas themed book!

This story is not just about Christmas, but also about second chances. Andrew and his high school sweetheart, Beth are going through some problems in their marriage - mostly caused by Andrew's over-dedication to his job. Just before Christmas a tragedy occurs and Andrew is forced to realise that his priorities were completely out of whack. Luckily he is given a chance to make things right and in doing so finds out what is important in life.

I really enjoyed the book, because even though the story was really feel-good, it was not predictable, with a couple of twists near the end that definitely kept me guessing. And the ending just made the whole story worthwhile.

I would recommend this story all year round, but especially as a wonderful pick-me-up Christmas read!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

3 comments:

Suvi said...

I didn't know that you're going stay two months in SA! You'll have plenty of time to relax and enjoy :)

Belinda Chaplin said...

Yip, two months - but it goes by so quickly! :)

Victor said...

Oooh, I like the twists and turns. That makes me feel like I should read it. Enjoy ZA!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...