Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Booklook review | NIV Streams in the Desert Bible

I love L.B. Cowman's "Streams in the Desert". It is a something that helps me get God's perspective when things are difficult. Written originally in the early 20th century, by a pioneer missionary to China and Japan, it is still as relevant today as it was at that time.

So, when the chance came up to review the Streams in the Desert NIV Bible, I grabbed the chance to be able to have this great resource on my kindle. It is something that you can use to do the daily reading. Or if you want to read your favourite book of the bible and the reading that goes along with the verses you are reading. Or if you want to find something on a specific topic that is bugging you. These are all things that can be done with this Bible.

I have enjoyed using it for the past month or so in my daily devotions, and every now and again for a longer session. It reminds that even when things look bleak and that nothing will ever change... that God is still the same, yesterday, today and forever, wherever you may be, whatever you may be doing - He remains the same and He is able!

I would recommend this for anyone who wants a way to draw closer to God. This would be a great gift for a missionary, or someone living cross-culturally. It is a great gift for anyone who has a heart after the one who sends the streams through the desert... 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review.

7 comments:

Victor said...

Thanks for the review. I don't fully get what the major gist is. Are all the readings about being in a dry, desert place? Or related to that?

I love how much reading you do with all the work you do.

Belinda Chaplin said...

All of the readings are about finding God and even while in dry places - He is the stream in the desert!

And reading for me is a priority, hence doing so much of it... I also don't sleep that much, and love reading in bed... :)

Victor said...

Do you really not sleep much? Are you an insomniac? Is it at an unhealthy level?

Belinda Chaplin said...

I sleep enough most nights, but I tend to insomnia at times - so I make good use of it to read :)

Victor said...

You should see someone about that. I am going through a sleep course right now that uses CBT to improve sleep.

Belinda Chaplin said...

I am sorry you also struggle with insomnia - I had a look online and it seems like a good idea for me as well. They even have online courses - so I may try to do something like that...I hope that the CBT will help you!

Victor said...

Yeah, I did a free course with sleepio.com as part of a trial but it's normally a paid course. Also CBT doesn't help with physiological or medical causes of insomnia or lack of sleep; it's more behaviour, lifestyle, and psychology.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...