Friday, November 28, 2014

Reading really can be fun...

Last night at our last actual "Book Club" for the year, we had about 25 kids and 15 volunteers and of course I didn't get a picture of the whole club, but I did manage to get a couple of cute shots of the volunteers working with the kids...we made "Flags" for our books... writing the book's details around the edge and then drawing a picture from the book in the middle:

Jelena is actually working with two girls next to her, but one of the boys decided her lap was the place to be... at least for a little while :)
David showing his prowess with the boys - keeping the attention of the 3 of them at once...
 Ivona was mainly working with this young man, but also with a girl on her other side...
And lastly Sanja with two of the younger girls: helping them draw... she does the outlines and then they have to colour the inside!
I mostly don't have time to take photos, so I am glad that I got a few shots to give you an idea of what goes on. I must admit that I am kept quite busy in the middle of the group making sure that everyone has everything they need - pencils, pencil crayons, sharpeners, papers, etc... I also have to deal with the rowdy few who don't sit still after the first 15 minutes or so... 

It may be our last actual book club for this semester - but next week we will have our special last evening, with a play, some prizes and even a cake... I can't wait!!

Even though it is LOUD at times, and not as much reading takes place as I would like, it is still planting seeds that reading is fun, and enjoyable and hopefully will be something they take with them into their whole life!

5 comments:

Victor said...

Oh yes, the end of the year is coming, and it is Advent time! I like Advent, it's a wonderful time of waiting, preparation, and stillness.

Tell me, who are the volunteers you are working with? Do you work with them in other capacities? Are they full-time community or church workers?

Belinda Chaplin said...

The volunteers are not full-time or community workers, but rather ordinary people who spare the time to volunteer for this project. I work with some of them in other capacities, but mostly just with this project. There are some volunteers who have been working with us for 2-4 years, but many of them are new from this year (since I was on TV appealing for more volunteers!)

Victor said...

Ahhh, where did the first volunteers come from (before appearing on TV)?

Belinda Chaplin said...

we advertised on our fb page, but mostly they were people we met along the way and then their friends :)

Victor said...

Ahhh, I see. Well that's great to be blessed with them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...