Friday, November 21, 2014

Library day...

Yesterday our other English language teacher, Snjeza, was joking with me about all the work I do with kids, and saying that she would drop off her three so she could have a break... I was in between taking two groups of children from the Children's Home to the library: 13 in the first group, and 15 in the second... and I jokingly said to her "3 is not enough for me... I only do large groups" :)

Yesterday was library day, and as we have such a large group in the book club this year, we have a lot of kids going to the library every other week... And yesterday I ended up taking the most I have ever taken in one day: 28!!

In the afternoon the 6-9th graders go: we break them into three groups: one group is 15-20 minutes on the 5 computers and the 2nd group waits in the reading room (looked after by my librarian buddies) while I take the 3rd group to chose their books in the book lending part of the library... and then we rotate so everyone has a turn on the internet... and get their books... and hang out with the cool librarians :)

I of course forgot to take pictures of them when they were inside, but I did manage to convince them to have their picture taken all together... (it took a LOT of convincing: and most of them put their books in front of the faces in protest...but actually it worked in my favour as I am not allowed to put their faces online, so I blanked out the rest of the faces anyway!)
Then in the evening, it is the turn of the 1-5th graders (and this time 2 older kids as well). I managed to get someone else to take photos, so you can see a little bit of what we do in the library with them...

Returning books and taking new ones is the main aim: here I am making sure we have records of which child took which books-very important!
And as we aren't able to go to the reading room (where they have workshops in the evening), we just hang out in the book-lending part of the library... Older kids choosing books for school:
Younger kids finding fairy-tales and other children's stories...
And once we find our books, it is time to play and hang out with the volunteers in the "play area" upstairs:
Or be read to by one of the volunteers... especially as "Teta Belinda" (Teta=Aunty) won't let the BIG fairytale books go to the Home as they are expensive if they get lost (which unfortunately does happen!)... but reading them in the library is allowed and encouraged = everyone happy!
And then there was time for one more photo of everyone... just to show you that there were actually 15 kids that came along... yes, I am crazy!! Praise the Lord for great (and patient) librarians and wonderful volunteers who make all of this possible!
So, as I told Snjeza, I only do large groups of children, but Praise the Lord, I do tend to do them well! But I must admit that this morning my throat was a little sore for all the "loud talking" (*cough* shouting) I need to do to make sure everything goes smoothly!!! But despite that, the kids really do  enjoy themselves and that is the most important thing!!! 

4 comments:

Victor said...

Nice. Does that mean that you should have blacked out the kids' faces in all previous pictures and posts? Or are you saying you're not allowed to show the faces of kids specifically involved in the library reading club program? (other events or programs it's ok)

Belinda Chaplin said...

I cannot show identifiable photos of the kids from the children's home (this rule is about a year old). If you look back over the last year or so you will see that I have deliberately been showing backs of heads, or the kids are looking down or away... but these photos were too cute to not put up, and it meant I had to black out!

The kids in our sponsorship project have signed a waiver saying it is ok for us to use their photos...

Linda said...

Great post, thanks so much for sharing.

Belinda Chaplin said...

Thanks Linda! The kids enjoy the outing as much as we enjoy taking them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...