Thursday, May 01, 2014

Jack of all trades...

On Tuesday night in my English conversation class, we talked about the phrase "jack of all trades" (someone who is able to do a lot of things well) and I realised that it really described my week:

I started by spending time on Monday morning doing something I LOVE: writing... I have been asked to write for a YWAM prayer website about the Balkans, and so have been working hard on that in between everything else this week...

On Monday and Tuesday afternoons, Ljilja and I were in the neighbouring town of Celinac to run a BEST business training course (this is the 11th since I learnt how to run it in 2009) for the final year economic students at the local high school...
As Ljilja is learning how to run the course herself, she started us off (above) and I carried on (below): it is so much nicer having two of us doing the training!
The "kids" were great fun: here are "Dionis" who were doing really well until they got the "thief" life card, and all of their money was stolen... I think they learnt their lesson!
Not Hugo Boss, but Yugo!
The "Reds" seem to be having fun!
It is always great to do these trainings, and one of our partners in Celinac was very keen for it to be done in the school there - as they organised it all for us, we were happy to oblige!

On Wednesday night, we started our second health workshop in the Children's Home (see about the first one here and here). We will do 4 weeks on anti-smoking in the hopes that we can show them why NOT to start smoking. Tanja did all of the heavy lifting, and Natasa and I were there mostly as crowd control. We worked with the kids that come to the book club usually, so we know them all well (and know which ones to keep calm!).

Tanja teaching on lungs and oxygen... and proof that the kids were quiet for at least 30seconds!
Natasa helping some of the girls to put the names of the parts of the lungs in the right place...
 Showing us the finished product:
Then it was time to colour in...
Our "no smoking" signs!!
Luckily, after a busy 3 days, Thursday and Friday are holidays! So, cleaning house, making pizza for lunch and carrying on with writing (and doing some resting in between) were on the cards for Thursday... and more of that for Friday! I hope you enjoyed a look at my "jack of all trades" kind of week...which is kind of what my weeks look like all the time...and hopefully I am good at all of my trades: and not as the saying goes "jack of all trades, master of none"!

(In case you were wondering, I am deliberately trying not to put identifying pictures of the any kids under 18 on my blog, thanks for understanding!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...