Friday, December 06, 2013

Rest in Peace Madiba...

I woke up this morning to the sad news that Nelson Mandela has passed away... It is an immensely sad day for South Africa, and indeed the world. I never got to meet him, but I did have my photo taken of a beaded artwork with him last time I was in South Africa:
When I heard about his passing, it brought back memories of the feeling I had the day after the first elections held in 1994, where all South Africans could vote for the first time (and it was also my first time to vote!). It was a strange feeling - I didn't know I had been feeling guilty for growing up a "privileged" white South African until that day when I realised that I no longer felt the guilt. Suddenly, we were all equals, able to vote and live in freedom. It was a feeling of release for me from something I didn't even realise I was feeling until it was gone. It was like a burden had been lifted off my shoulders and I could look all of my fellow South Africans in the eyes as equals. It was a great feeling!

Nelson Mandela was the reason we all could live in the "New" South Africa, learning what it is like to live together in freedom without hate towards one another. It was this feeling of release that I hope to share with others around the world - and one of the main reasons I find myself living in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Letting go of bitterness, anger and hatred is necessary to move forward, and so is letting go of guilt. I pray that Nelson Mandela's legacy will live on as we seek to make this world a better place. This is something only possible with God's help, and I pray that He will give us the strength to forgive and let go and move forward in a way that would make Tata proud.

Rest in peace Madiba, we will continue what you started...

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Well said, friend. We are very glad you are here and thankful for Nelson Mandela's life and work.

Belinda Chaplin said...

Thanks Kathy!

Barbara said...

Yes, I remember that day too. In fact, as I only came to SA in 1993, I had the privilege of living mainly in that legacy… and didn't really know the other side of things that you and others experienced when growing up. Madiba was an influence and a blessing to so many.

Victor said...

Amen. I love your thoughts. It's a super sad day. I'm actually wearing a Mandela shirt today to remember him. I was privileged enough to get the chance to meet him and I love the man he became, the people we became, and the nation South Africa became and is still becoming because of him and his legacy. May it live on and may we continue to walk in peace in acts of love mixed ever with forgiveness.


PS Woh! I never see comments on here. And Belinda you actually responded to the comment in blogger and not email!!

Belinda Chaplin said...

Yes, Victor, I have started answering them on here :) And it just needs to be a topic people relate to like now... Madiba touched everyone... where did you get to meet him? I have met the Archbishop, but not Mandela.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...