Sunday, November 24, 2013

Ćevapi in Baščaršija

After a lovely 3 days at home in Banja Luka, on Friday it was time to get in the car again and travel to Sarajevo. Ljilja and I had a training day on Saturday (for Operation Christmas Child by Samaritan's Purse - the shoebox packages) and I needed to have a couple of meetings with people, so we decided to make a weekend of it. The training was good and we got to meet some new people and renew relationships with old friends, so it was a fun time altogether.

And of course I didn't get many photos - but we did managed to get to Baščaršija (Sarajevo Old Town) to have ćevapi with kajmak: (meat sausage "fingers" with salty clotted cream): other than hanging out with the people we got to hang out with - this was definitely the highlight!
I was reminded of my first time in Sarajevo in 1999 where I also had ćevapi in Baščaršija, and at the time I was thinking "what is so great about this?" but I have really come to appreciate it, and even long for it when I am not in the country! Especially when it is paired with the "kajmak" - these Bosnians aren't that crazy after all!

1 comment:

Victor said...

I bet it is an acquired taste!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...