Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas everyone!

I thought you might enjoy the front page of the Cape Times this morning... a surfing Santa!
We are all ready for a lovely summer (despite the rain today!) Christmas... I can't decide which is better: a winter Christmas where you can do all the trimmings and bake loads of biscuits (cookies) or a summer one where you braai (barbeque) and (if you are me and don't like Christmas pudding) eat ice-cream for desert? No matter where I am, I celebrate the real reason, and enjoy the time with family (this year) or friends (other years) as it is definitely a day that needs to be celebrated in some way!

This year it was especially meaningful to me to read Max Lucado's collection of Christmas stories in the weeks leading up to Christmas. It is a great gift idea, especially for fans of his work. 

Thinking about things from different angels - "out of the box" - as I talk with my language students when we do lateral thinking, Max's stories show completely different sides to the Christmas story: like looking at the story from Angels' perspective to a story of the Inn Keeper's little son Jacob.

Made up of two parts "Christ is celebrated" and "Christ is born" the individual stories are intermingled with short snippets or bible verses, and the whole book just reminded me of why we celebrate Christmas:
Christ the Saviour is BORN.

As it is a collection of stories from amongst his other works, I had read some of them before, but reading them again in this context made them more special. But be aware that these aren't new stories.

I am just glad that I got to enjoy this book at this time of year as it really is a "heartwarming" book full of little treasures and reminders of why Christmas is so special, and why we need to celebrate it!
Merry Christmas everyone! 

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will try to get the book.
Thank you Belinda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...