Thursday, November 08, 2012

Same old, same old...

For me, every day is a new day with different challenges and different happenings... things are never the same and there is always a lot going on! So, I really can't say "same old, same old"... But at the same time there aren't many new things to put on my blog :) I mean, I have posted about my English classes and about the Book Club at the Children's Home quite a lot and it is a bit boring to write another post about them... but what the heck...

I have 3 English groups at the moment and we have FUN! Right now we are doing the past tense in my elementary group: below are pics from tonight's class: I gave them an exercise to do in pairs and then took pics without them knowing;)

Three people are missing, including the policeman, Ilija, who sometimes comes straight from work in his uniform!! The first time he did that he saw the sign with "no guns allowed" at the entrance and so came in with the gun in hand and tried to give it Dragana to take care of... then we decided that policemen could come WITH their guns if necessary! :)

I don't have photos of the other two groups: my beginners are doing well, we did days of the week on Tuesday and I make them try to do the "th" in "Thursday" (also in "three", "thirteen" and "thirty" - they hate me!), but as it isn't a sound they have in the local language it is very difficult... but we try! The conversation group really enjoyed playing the "name game" last Friday (you have to explain the name on the paper without using the actual name) - as I said, we have fun!! :) But actually it is a really really great exercise for language learning - even those that struggle do well when they are wanting to win!

Tonight after the elementary class in the photos, it was time to go to the Book Club at the Home. As you know, we have two groups: oldies (5-8th grade) and littlies (1-4th)... Here are the oldies with volunteers Aleksandra and Jovana: I love the pic as it just shows the (inter-)action...
 Here is a picture from last time, with Jelena and Milica doing the honours...
And this is the same room this week, without tables!!! Yip, every time we come there is another challenge, this week's challenge was the lack of tables... But we found a way and volunteer Belmir helped Stefan and Zlaja with their projects: first draw a picture based on the book you read:
And then cut it up so it makes a puzzle, and then put it back together: below they are with their finished puzzles... And after that, as usual, we played the book club game! (they still love it which is great - as they are learning while doing! It definitely helps that there are sweets involved!)
Now, I didn't get many pictures of the littles (1-4th grade) because my battery died :( They are in the dining room, and so are less squished than us with the oldies and Tanja does a great job of making sure they are under control and get things done. Here is Dragana with her picture before it was cut up...
Talking about the littlies... last time we had book club, they were ALL being punished as they had gone completely wild that day (they had a new teacher come in to work with them and took advantage) and so they were not allowed to go to Book Club as punishment... as I said, there is always a challenge, and that was the challenge that week - not having half the children! But as always we found a way to make sure our volunteers enjoyed themselves and didn't feel like they had come for no reason... at least we did have the "oldies", but as I said, there is always something! 

I hope you enjoyed getting a glimpse of my "same old, same old" which is anything but!

1 comment:

Alida said...

I love seeing what others are doing...thank you for sharing your same old, same old!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...