Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs


I must admit first off that I read only half of Bruce Wilkinson's "Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs". It is divided into four sections: Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs, Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs with God, Experiencing Spiritual Breakthrough in your Marriage, Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs in your Parenting. And so once I got half way through and finally started enjoying the book...it started talking about areas of life that I don't need spiritual breakthroughs in: marriage and parenting and I skipped to the end...

Even during the first half of the book that I did read, I didn't really enjoy the author's writing style, and a lot of what he was saying wasn't relevant to me. I had just in the last chapter on "Experiencing Spiritual Breakthroughs with God" finally got into the book... so you can imagine my disappointment to realise that the rest of the book didn't apply to me as a single without children!

The chapter I did enjoy was on breaking free from sinful habits, and started with a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon, and as a fan, I really enjoyed the reference... Here is the cartoon:
The chapter looked at sin, and how to break free, and to realise that the secret of happiness is not going back to sin, or  as Calvin calls it 'short-term, stupid self-interest'... to quote Bruce Wilkinson: "living in the grip of 'short-term, stupid self-interest' is just not what God has in mind for any one of us. It's not only possible but entirely withing our inheritance to walk daily in a satisfying, comforting, and healing relationship with our Creator God." That is my prayer for myself and for anyone following Christ.

But then, unfortunately the rest of the book was not relevant to me... So, if you are married and have children, this may be a great book for you, but for the rest of you, you can give it a skip! If you want more information you can go here

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group's Blogging for books program. The opinion is my own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...