Thursday, October 11, 2012

First 10 days of October...catch up post!

You know that I have been busy when I don't blog :) And this last little while has been busy, even for me! I have my normal activities, English classes, Children's Home Book Club, etc which keep me busy anyway... Then last weekend I went to Brela Women's Conference. It was a fantastic time of fun and catching up on friendships as well as basking in the last rays of Croatia coast sun for the year... The weather was the best ever, and it wasn't just a brave few braving the cool sea, but many of the almost 80 ladies who came to this 10th anniversary conference made it into the relatively warmer waters this year!

I got to hang out a lot (and yet not enough) with my bud, Jocelyn, especially as we were rooming together... We met back in Zenica and both of us had the same language teachers, so we were reminiscing a bit about that and the crazy stuff we had to learn, amongst other things! I also got to catch up with some other great people, and got to know some fun new people as well! Here are some of us: 
And one of the cool things that happened was that we were given aprons, each handmade by a lady in the US - what a blessing! Here are Joce and I showing ours off: 
I got back Sunday and we already had a guest (although she is actually a "cest" (often) - she has been so often she is now part of the family), Sina, who was here to help run a Child Protection seminar this week. So, from Monday until today we have been in seminar all day and then lucky me gets to carry on with my "normal" stuff - like Book Club on Monday and English classes on Tuesday night. So, I am a leetle tired now!

It was a good seminar, and I definitely got a lot out of it, but the highlight has to be when we did "role plays": Here are Dragana and Katja-Maaria with their "child", a very sad looking Sina (who was acting the part of the abuse victim)... we had to act out what we then have to do once a case has been discovered...
Child protection is quite a heavy subject, and so Jaca and I were the comic relief: judges ala "Idol": And of course, we had to get "dressed up":
All in good fun, but we actually learnt a lot from trying to put into practice what we had been learning... 

On Wednesday night there was a concert at EKC Ihtus: in conjunction with the local drug rehabilitation centre "Victorija" with the theme "ROCK AGAINST DRUGS". The idea was to have it outside, but it was rained out :-( and as all 3 acts were acoustic it was actually ROCK AGAINST DRUGS "unplugged". I didn't get a picture of Daria who was the first act, but she has a fantastic singing voice and we all loved listening to her... 

Then it was the turn of 2/3rds of "Edgar Allen Poe" (as their drummer wasn't available) who wowed us with their amazing guitar work... and they had such fun as well - it was like we were just sitting in on a fun jam session with them! 
And then the main act, Andy Mayo, who came in from the UK specially for the concert! Andy was the director of the Oak Hall Bible School in Belgrade, Serbia, and now is running Oak Hall in the UK. I love Andy - and besides all the things he does in his day job, he is an amazing musician as well!

1 comment:

ergliangel45 said...

Great to see Andy. Ian knows him from all the trips to Serbia and Bosnia. So glad for your time at the conference hanging with dear friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...