Tuesday, October 16, 2012

And another successful chicken dinner...

Yesterday, I was busy all day taking the kids from the Children's Home to the library: one group goes in the morning and one in the afternoon. With pick up, drop off and being at the library for almost an hour and a half, it takes almost 3 hours for each group - with an hour for lunch in between - so it makes for a long day. The kids were great mainly because some of the naughtier kids were banned from coming as punishment (I love the fact that banning the library visit is considered punishment - we are doing something right!). But I got to see my kids, find them fun books, play games with them, hang with some of my volunteers who came to help out and visit with the lovely librarians, all in all a good day...

And then I got home at 4.30 just in time to start cooking dinner for almost 20 people! Yes, we started the Alpha course and somehow I ended up cooking for the first one, still not sure how that happened, especially as it was my library day! I did do my super easy "peachy chicken", which with onion soup mix brought by my mom from South Africa, is just a case of cutting up the chicken and putting in the oven tray with peach juice, cooking for an hour and voila an amazing exotic dish!! (oh and cooking some rice to go with it...) {and thanks to Ljilja for doing the shopping!} So, it wasn't too much of a hardship :)

I love the Alpha course because besides looking at some interesting and important topics, it is a time when people can sit back and relax and enjoy just hanging out. This is the first Alpha we have had in 2 years, and the first in Ihtus, but it worked out well. We had 18 people coming and I think most will be returning (and some people will come from next week) and hopefully will enjoy the rest of the course. The chicken was mostly polished off and some of them wanted the recipe for my lovely chicken dish, but I had to disappoint them, as the onion mix packets aren't available here:( But I guess that means that I made another successful chicken dinner!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...