Thursday, September 20, 2012

Blogging for books review: I exalt You, O God


Jerry Bridges wrote this 31 day devotional gem of a book back in 2001, but it is now available in e-book format. The book looks at different ways we can see God, and worship Him for the different parts of His character. Divided into 4 parts: (greatness, holiness, wisdom and love) with 7 or 8 daily devotionals in each part, it is meant to be used as a month long journey into deeper worship and understanding of who God is and what He does for us.

As I was travelling, it took me a lot longer than 31 days to complete, but I am glad that I decided to go through it slowly and enjoy each chapter, digesting the insights, using the verses at the end as a way to worship the Lord each day. And I know in a couple of years I will be able to go through this again as it is something that I will always be able to learn from and use as a tool for daily devotions.

There is so much good stuff throughout the book, but I want to share one of the insights that really struck me: under the Greatness section the author took us through Isaiah 40. In verse 12 it says "Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand?" (referring to God). The author then tells of how he measured how much water he could hold in his own hand (have you measured, it isn't a lot!) and yet, the Lord holds ALL the waters of the earth (which is covered 2/3rd by water) in His hand... It is just such a wonderful thought as to how GREAT the Lord actually is. And these kinds of little insights really bring home the greatness, holiness, wisdom and love of the Lord, and allowed me to enter into deeper worship.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in deepening their relationship with God, and wanting to spend quality time worshiping Him for who He is and what He does.

Disclosure: I received this book free from the Blogging for books program of the WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group. The opinion is completely my own. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...