Thursday, August 02, 2012

Recipes...

I love making new things. And I love experimenting... It drives my poor roommate to distraction, because I generally can't make the same thing the same way twice! So, if she likes it, it is difficult to repeat it! (and generally she likes things I make... although there have been some experiments that have gone horribly wrong!)

I usually bake using a recipe because it is tricky to get the amount of yeast or baking powder right if you don't measure stuff, but over time I have managed to do some experimenting even with that. And now this ability definitely comes in handy for over here in Bosnia...

If you like a recipe here, and ask for it... you will probably get words like "otprilike" (approximately) or my personal favourite "odoka" ili "odokativno" (literally means 'from the eye')... this was demonstrated in my learning to make pita/pia. No amounts were used, you just need to get a feel for it...

So, this week I got a recipe for some really good buckwheat muffins from a male friend (this in itself is VERY unusual - most men here don't stoop to the women's level to cook or bake!) and two of the ingredients were "odokativno"... so now the challenge is to make the muffins properly without having seen it being made... I think I am up for it!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...