Saturday, March 03, 2012

Training at EKC "IHTUS"

So, this week at the Educational Cultural Center "Ihtus" I started up my Beginners "plus" group on Tuesday with a test to see if they learnt anything in the last set of classes and to set a benchmark for the new people (and just by the way my oldies did very well on the test, I am so proud of them!! And chuffed to see that they did actually learn something from me!) We also had our second class on Thursday, and I so enjoy working with this group of people - we managed to squish 17 people around the class seating designed for 12 and no one complained!

I also ran the first two sessions of a BEST business training on Thursday and Friday afternoons and started up the English Conversation group on Friday night... All I can say was what was I thinking??? Or more likely I wasn't...

The business training was specially for people signed up at CISO (The Centre for Information, Counselling and Training for young people) which is part of the Unemployment Centre, but a project of the United Nations Development Project to try and find young people employment. Three of the people who work at the centre have been attending the training as well and it has been a great group so far. They are now on their two weeks of "practical" where they have to try and use 10KM (about R50, $7) to make as much money as they can...
Enjoying the training so far!

Making business decisions isn't always easy...

But usually things all work out - YAY!
















 
The English Conversation group was really great: we have a great group of people and that always helps. I make the curriculum up from stuff that I find in books or online and the point is to get people talking as much as possible... and have as much fun in the process as possible

We started off by sharing what is in our head: First you fill out what is in your head on the form below - what you think about, what you enjoy doing, what you love:

And then share it around the room in pairs:


After that we had some other activities, followed by a game in groups:
How do I answer that question?
Who is winning?
but talking in English is the point!





















The last thing we did was "lateral thinking puzzles" which this group seems to be too good at: they managed to get two problems so quickly that I gave them my favourite problem: A man rode into town on Friday. He stayed for three nights and then left on Friday. How come? The answer is here at number 12. And I apologise in advance as it is kind of silly! And they managed to get it in the end... after I gave them a BIG hint...

Anyway, needless to say, I am looking forward to a quieter weekend after a fairly hectic week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...