Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Switzerland

I was supposed to be spending the weekend in London with my friends from South Africa, the Bennetts. It was a clever plan - go to the YWAM conference and then spend the weekend with them. Then, they realised that Sarah would be in Switzerland already at a work conference and their oldest two (twins, Katherine and Jonathan) had a half-term holiday, so why not meet Sarah in Switzerland. But it was "my" weekend: so they wrote and asked if I could either swop weekends or come along on the trip... I tried to switch weekends, but it didn't work out. I also thought in the end that Dave driving to Switzerland with 3 kids by himself wasn't a good plan, and so decided to go along with them! So, suddenly my UK trip turned into a Swiss adventure...

We were staying in Wiesen which is near Davos up in the mountains... The hotel was a "Kinder Hotel" so there was childcare and it was very child friendly, which meant Dave and Sarah could go skiing as much as they wanted. The kids are also taken to ski school in the mornings, and have a great time the rest of the day with lots of fun activities. I went the one day to see some YWAM friends who work in Davos and had a great time with them. After that I then met up with Dave and Sarah for hot chocolate (after they ski-ed most of the day) in this place: (and this photo is also proof that we were in Davos :-)
When we got to the hotel the first day they had managed to give me my own room (originally I was going to be in the room with them) at the same price, so that meant I actually had a bit of a holiday as well. But I did get to spend a lot of time with the kids, as we used my room as a hang-out (and I had a bath which they could use for the kids-as opposed to the shower in their room): Here is Katherine with little brother, Matthew:
And here again with twin brother, Jonathan:love this pic!
This was the view from my balcony... Awesomeness...
And a little pic from the village of Wiesen: idyllic...
It has to be said that it was very cold (like between -20 and -10), but it was still quite enjoyable, as long as you wrapped up WELL. This last photo is also in Davos, showing the lovely Swiss cow and some of the Jakobshorn ski run in the background... 
The trip was full of new experiences: We went through the Channel tunnel on the way there; I went through Heathrow terminal 5 on the way back; I travelled on Swiss trains in the snow; and  experienced the beauty of Davos and Wiesen. So, despite the fact that it took us two days to drive there and then a day for me to get back to Newcastle in the UK, and I was only in Switzerland for 2 days, I am glad I went on the epic Swiss adventure (and thanks to Dave and Sarah for taking me and paying my way!!!).

4 comments:

Shilo said...

Wow, that is BREATHTAKING!!!!!!!!!! What a treat! I'm so glad you got to do that and that your conference we a success and encouragement as well! Are you home now?

Going Dutch said...

Looks awesome! Glad you got to have a Swiss adventure =)

Sarah Bennett said...

Such a cool blog - I only got a chance to read it now! It was a fun adventure, thanks for going on a crazy trip with the Bennetts!

Belinda Chaplin said...

thanks guys! And Sarah, I wouldn't have gone a crazy trip with anyone else!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...