Friday, January 06, 2012

Cape Town summer...

The definite emphasis of my stay in Cape Town has been having a HOLIDAY and as a result I haven't felt like blogging much: being lazy on a holiday fancy that! I have managed to catch up with some friends which has been nice, but I have spent most of my time hanging with my family.

Here we are on Christmas eve (my niece Amy and nephew James in front, then Mom, me, my sister Astrid, aunt Jan and cousin Lauren):
 Then it was Christmas: time for lots of presents under the tree:
 Followed by a scrumptious meal. We were joined by David's parents:Colleen and Don.
Otherwise, this week my tooth started hurting and I had to have it extracted. It was a baby tooth (I had 3 adult teeth that didn't come in) and so it was mostly filling, and she was afraid it would just fall apart if she started working on it. So, out it came :-( I was wondering whether the tooth fairy would visit me or not. And guess what, she came! My sister even managed to get a picture of her running out of the house:-) and I got R5!! {Yes, I have a whacky family:-)}
Yesterday, with everyone else at the Cricket (South Africa is playing a five day test against Sri Lanka), Mom and I took Amy and her friend Erin to Boulders beach. We used up my free entries (I bought a temporary 12-entry Wild card last year when I was here and it had entries left) to get on and despite a very high tide meaning our towels and everything got wet, we had a lovely day there. The girls enjoyed swimming in the little waves (because of the rocks it is quite protected) and much to the delight of everyone, so did a family of Egyptian geese: (Amy and Erin are on the right in the water):
 The geese even came over to say hello:
 But there were also loads of the usual suspects at Boulders: the African "Jackass" Penguins:
I am so glad I could be here for the holidays and spend quality time with my Mom and family! And of course getting to enjoy a summer in the middle of a Bosnian winter is a bonus as well :-)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow, what a lovely place! It's always strange to be in the middle of our winter while others are in the middle of summer :) especially thinking of a Summer Christmas :) But hey, I think I would have liked it this year!! My feet have been cold for two months!! ha hah .... and no snow! :)

Milena said...

Wow, says I-:) A great story! The geese... how have they come there?

Belinda Chaplin said...

Actually I am not sure why they are on salt water, but there are a lot of geese in summer and then they migrate to Egypt in winter. Usually they are on fresh water lakes or rivers...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...