Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas is coming...


Yesterday, I was in the kitchen making "Christmas cookies" with Finnish spices sent to me be Lea Raittila, wearing a Dutch apron giving to me by the van Stuijvenbergs when they were in SA for Christmas last year, listening to Christmas music giving to me by my American friend Deb McConnell, and I realised that my Christmas experience has been influenced by so many different cultures...

Before I came to Bosnia, I was only vaguely aware of the fact that they celebrate on a completely different day, but I now also celebrate Christmas on the 7th of January along with my Serb brothers and sisters.  And of course it is no longer strange for me to have a "cold" or even "white" Christmas, whereas growing up in South Africa that was something I didn't experience until I was in my late 20s!

I have celebrated "my" Christmas with friends here over the years, and enjoy sharing some of my traditions with them. Things like Christmas crackers and silly hats... And I also try to inject some of my "African" Christmas into my life here: Here are some "Corn husk" dolls I found on sale while I was in South Africa last year, aren't they cute? Though Ljilja does say that it is still a shock every time she sees that the baby Jesus is black...
And I never want to forget that it is CHRISTmas: take away everything else and HE is all that matters. It is great to be with family or friends, sing carols, light Christmas lamps and put up a tree, but in the middle of all that, don't forget to celebrate the fact that all those years ago, HE, the LORD of LORDS and KING of KINGS, came to earth as a little baby... so that He could one day give up even His life on the cross to save me and all mankind... Joy to the world indeed!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...