Friday, November 18, 2011

The whirlwind trip...

Rick came, he saw and he made risotto... and a dang fine one (chicken and leek with a lemon and wine sauce... mmmm) at that. He also experienced for the first time the wonderful movie that is "The Princess Bride". It was good to educate him on one of the best movies of all time (every time I am in South Africa my friends and I try to organise a Princess Bride watching session together). And luckily he really liked it.

We also went on a road trip to the waterfalls and monastery at Krupa na Vrbas and to the town of Jajce and back over the mountain Manjaca. It was very pretty and we had a great time. I think Rick's impression of me knowing people all over the place (wherever we go I seemed to bump into someone I know) was completely confirmed by the following: Now to set the scene: We are at Krupa na Vrbas (about 1/2 an hour from Banja Luka) where I always buy flour from the Water-Mill guy. They have mills on the waterfalls and so it is completely natural flour! I always chat with him a little, but I didn't even realise that I had left such an impression on him. I went to buy some flour from him... And he said to me (I am translating our conversation into English!):
"Hey, where have you been? You haven't been here for a long time".
I replied: "No, I haven't had many guests. I think I haven't been here for at least two years".
He responded: "No, actually you were here last year in the spring."
Not only did he recognise me, he REMEMBERED when I had been there last...

We also had a funny conversation with the Monk at the Krupa Monastery. I had never seen a Monk there and so when we spotted one we got really excited. He looked particularly Rasputin-like and so Rick really wanted his photo taken with him. So I asked him, but he really was having nothing of it: because he was too dirty and his jacket was torn... Who would have thought a Monk would be vain? Sorry Rick, no photo. I tried...

Otherwise I think he had a really good time here... as did we, having him around!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...