Sunday, November 27, 2011

Theology and the Princess Bride

After a ridiculously hectic week, I was glad when I could use my favourite film for "Movie Night" after English Conversation Class on Friday night. I decided that I wanted to share with my friends and others here the joy that is "The Princess Bride". It really is a cultural phenomenon in the English speaking world that most people around the world have seen it, enjoyed it, and love to quote from it!
I guess it is also something that connects me to my oldest friends. It was something we watched together as teenagers and now still, every time I am in South Africa, we try to do a "Princess Bride" night! Good times...

It was fun watching it with people who had never seen it before, athough I was worried maybe wouldn't understand the humour - especially as we just used the English subtitles (do it sometime: it is actually quite funny: "ominous popping" in the fire swamp!). Luckily I think they mostly "got" it and seemed to enjoy it! Or they were being polite... 

Anyway: while we were watching it on Friday night (I can't even tell you how many times I have seen this movie - seriously, countless!) I was this time struck by one quote in particular:

Buttercup: You mock my pain. 
Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. 

And I just thought how sad it would be to live a life where one believed that to be true. And there are probably many people in this world for whom it is seemingly true (at least for now). Because God didn't promise us a pain free existence. Instead He tells us "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" (Romans 8:18) As CS Lewis said: our lives here are just the front cover when compared to the book we will live in glory. 

And yet, life is NOT pain! Because we know that this is just temporary, we can be full of hope and joy and longing for the day that we will be living a life where there will be no more tears or pain.

I lost my Dad and my Gran this year. It hasn't been an easy year in other ways as well. And yet each day I am reminded of how faithful God is. How He is carrying me. How I couldn't be here and do what I am doing if He was not with me.

And I just feel sad, sad for people who live their lives believing that "Life is pain" when it doesn't have to be. When there is sooooooooo much more to life than that!!

And there you have my little piece of theology from The Princess Bride. I hope you enjoyed it!

1 comment:

Mrs. Dugmore said...

I am now so curious to see this movie. I will have to bribe Jono to get the movie for us on our movie night: Friday's.
Thanks for sharing the bit of wisdom from the movie. It meant really lots to me at this stage. Lotsa love

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...