Thursday, November 03, 2011

Alice in Wonderland... or Belinda in the land of OBI:

So, today I went to get a few things for some home improvements. We have a very good friend who will do it for us, and has told us what to buy, but it fell on me to go and do it: I volunteered even! Oh boy...

I was a woman, blonde AND foreign in a man's world and did I feel silly! I had to get a certain measurement of wood, hooks, screws, the things screws go into: you see I don't even know the vocab even in English, let alone in this language! So you can imagine the looks I got from the guys at OBI (a HUGE hardware store here in Banja Luka)...
I really did feel a bit like Alice in Wonderland: completely and utterly out of my element, but thankfully I did manage to get everything we needed (at least I hope) and I feel quite happy that I managed to get my point across: I did tell them I was foreign so they wouldn't think I was retarded!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...