Monday, September 12, 2011

40 days...

As I shared here about my Dad, there is a special ceremony and marking 40 days after the death of a loved one here. It shows time has passed, you are hopefully healing and brings to mind that person once again. It is 40 days today since my gran, Ula Zaremba, passed away - see here for the original post on her passing.
My aunt was clearing out some of her stuff and asked me what I would like for her to keep for me: the only thing that I really wanted was the letters that I had written to her in the 10 years since I was in Bosnia.  I have all her letters to me (although she hadn't written much the last 2-3 years since her sight got bad, we had been writing back and forth regularly for 6-7 years!) and I think one day I could even make a book out of the correspondence. She had a way with words and descriptions of things that made it fascinating to see into her world. I also think it would be great to have a kind of diary of what I was going through all those years... Hardly anyone writes letters anymore and email is kind of boring: so this interaction was kind of special.

Everyone keeps asking me how I am doing (and how Mom is doing): and on the whole I am doing ok. Every now and again something hits me and reminds me of the loss, but I think that will be ongoing for a while. My mom is visiting my sister right now and doing ok, and arrives in two weeks to visit me, which I am REALLY looking forward to!

Marking of the 40 days since my gran passed away also helps me put things in perspective. She (and my Dad) are gone but not forgotten. Their memory will live on in those of us left behind. Their legacy and lives will live on in us as we remember them... And we slowly, but surely, begin to heal.

2 comments:

Shilo said...

Thanks for sharing, Bee. My grandmother and I wrote letters too, I so wish I would have saved them. I got all the ones I had written her when she went to be with the Lord, but I hadn't saved hers. Your idea of making a book is fabulous, that will be so special! Here's a hug! XXXX

Anonymous said...

Dear Belinda!

While trying to set up our home office here in Germany, (how many boxes with stuff can one have?!?) I discovered an envelope with letters I had written to my grandmother many years ago. It was one of the things I kept as a memory after she died about 12 years ago. It had been in storage all that time, but brought back so many memories. Be blessed, Hannes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...