Saturday, December 11, 2010

I am in South Africa, but my luggage is in Germany...

So, I made it safely to South Africa, but my luggage didn't... But it was kind of inevitable really... the whole trip was a bit of a nightmare: the first time I have been delayed ever, and so having it also be the first time I lost my luggage was kind of par for the course!

It took me 48 hours to get from door to door: I caught the bus to Zagreb on Wednesday morning and had lunch with my friend Juliana, before heading to the airport. Then the nightmare began...my flight from Zagreb to Frankfurt was diverted to Munich because of heavy snow. We all stood for 3 hours from 9.45pm-12.45am waiting to get rebooked and hopefully a hotel of some sort... No such luck. I got almost to the front of the queue and they told us that they were shutting down and would open up at 5am again... no hotel and by the time I got to the beds (camp cots in the airport) I almost didn't get one...(I am sorry to the person whose stuff I moved off the bed - you not snoozing, you loozing)... Eventually the next morning after about two hours of sleep, I got rebooked on a flight direct (with another airline) from Munich to Cape Town which got me here Friday morning (sans luggage!)

One of the things that fascinated me was the fact that there was a whole group of us who bonded in the queue, people from Slovakia, Australia, Croatia, the US: all stuck in the same situation and making the time go faster by talking to each other about everything and anything. And we didn't even know each others' names: and yet we were all excited when we all finally got rebooked or found another way, etc... I know I will never see any of them ever again, but for those few hours we felt like family. A kind weird estranged family maybe, but family nonetheless...

Now I am catching up on sleep and just getting used to being in this strange, warm, windy weather, trying to figure out what to wear (luckily I have some clothes here!) and praying that my luggage (which was pretty much 80% presents) does eventually get here!

And next time I will go via Istanbul... no snow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...