Monday, February 22, 2010

Winters in Banja Luka...

We do get quite cold winters here in Banja Luka: it does get down to -22C (-8F) at times, and the average temp is around 0C (32F). We have snow, sometimes LOTS of it:
So, this is what the view from my balcony is like when we have loads of snow... which happens once or twice (or for this winter 4 times!) a winter and it is cold and miserable and icy (and slippery). We do have a good winter service so the roads are (mostly) cleared and most people have winter snow tyres, so this amount of snow doesn't really stop anything from happening (not like in the UK where 5cm means schools are closed!). Then after a couple of days (or weeks) it melts and becomes what I call: "sad snow": which is just annoying:
And then it is flood warning time, as the snow melts off the mountains, it mingles with the rain (and usually we have lots of that too) and the rivers swells and there becomes photo opportunities like this one in the swollen Vrbas river: thanks to Mladen and David (don't ask how they got there: but doesn't it look like they are having fun?!)
And then once in a while we get days like yesterday: lovely and sunny and warmish and we get out and EVERYONE is out and about. I also get to take a lovely photo like this one of Corina and Ljilja at the Kastel Fortress in Banja Luka on Corina's last day with us here :-(:
I do get to go to South Africa every other winter, when it is summer there, which means I miss the winter here :-) But otherwise, I am getting used to these winters, and I am blessed in that I have a lovely landlady who heats our house VERY well!! And I must admit that when I see snow I still get excited! It is very beautiful and I am still not completely used to it and don't think I ever will be...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...