Friday, September 11, 2009

You know you have been in Bosnia too long when...

I have a good friend Jocelyn who also writes a blog (but is neglecting it a bit lately having adopted a 2 year old and had a baby in the space of a year!) and she writes a section called "you know when you have been in Bosnia too long when..." This blog is for you, Joce:

Proof that I have been in Bosnia too long:
- I now have a paranoiac fear of putting my handbag on the floor. This was demonstrated when I couldn't do it even in South Africa. Here it is considered bad luck (you will lose all your money!), but I started following the trend because if you didn't someone would come and give you a talking to for putting on the floor: so it is more a fear of being given a talking to than that I would lose my money. But in any case, can't do it!

- This week I decided that I couldn't wash my hair as I had a bit of a sniffle and all good Bosnians know that you shouldn't go out with wet hair (or even newly washed hair - yes seriously!) especially if you have the beginnings of a cold! (Ljilja told me that I needed to go demand my Bosnian citizenship when she heard my reasoning on this!)

- I was told by my Doctor that the cure for my low iron is to take nettles and whole lemons and chop them up with my (and here is the other proof that I have been here too long - I can't think of the English for "multipratik" or the thing you use in the kitchen to slice and dice...) kitchen thingie and put that all in honey: then every day eat one spoonful!! This apparently can sit in the fridge for a year and so each summer you can make it for the next year. Ok, the proof that I have been here too long is the fact that I actually did it!! (and by the way you need to use gloves for the nettles!). I do need to mention here that when I asked my friend Keren (who is a doctor in South Africa) what she thought of my Doctor's advice, she said and I quote "she is a quack", but I am still eating my honey soaked nettles and lemons every day (and it is actually not too bad!) And here's hoping that it does help my low iron as well!

Ok, I am sure there are many other reasons, but these are the ones I could think of off the top of my head...hope you enjoyed them...

2 comments:

therambler said...

yeah, blogging requires a bit quiet time in order to think, which i have none of. this is why i twitter. 140 characters. i can do that in between "MOM!"s.

do you remember back in the zenica days, when i was really sick with a cold, and you made me the eat boiled onions and sugar that your landlady had made? went down like sugar, came back up like onions! for the record, it didn't help. not that i consumed enough of it to really know! but, then again, who actually could? haha! good times!

Belinda Chaplin said...

was wondering how you were keeping so up on facebook: twitter explains it... I think a lot of the moms I know do twitter... nice way to keep up with them!
Yes, good memories- I think what was funny about that onion/sugar thing was when my landlady made it for me, she came down 3 times a day to MAKE SURE I was drinking it!! And it worked for me as it was so horrible I think I got better quicker so I wouldn't have to drink it anymore!! Good times!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...