Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ode to the Peugeot...

Today is the day that someone decided that they needed my car more than me... It didn't matter that it was behind a gate with an alarm, with a landlady who sleeps "like a bird" - we were gone at camp and the little Peugeot 206 was too much temptation for someone and it was stolen...

I woke up at 8am this morning at camp at Boracko Lake (about 4 1/2 hours drive from Banja Luka) on the 2nd day of Student camp to see that my landlady had tried 4 times to call me from 6.50am. My phone's sound was turned off so I hadn't heard. I was just trying to make sense of it when she called again... When I answered she asked me "did you lend your car to someone?" and when I said "no" she said "well, then it has been stolen"...

At first Ljilja and I thought we could maybe just stay at camp and get someone else to report it stolen, but it was not to be - Ljilja had to come back to sign the paperwork. She is the car's official owner - as it is complicated for me to have it in my name. And I couldn't very well stay at camp if it was actually my car stolen! There were 5 of us who had gone down to camp from Banja Luka, so it was easier to take the Miika's Landcruiser for all of our stuff and so that is how my poor car was left behind. So, we took the landcruiser and the other 3 stayed at camp and will come back on Thursday on the train.

We rushed to get back asap and went straight to the police station... but by the time we got there the car theft branch had all gone home, so we have to just go in tomorrow!! We could have taken it easier and come back later if we had known! Oh well, this is Bosnia!!

But seriously, the whole day I am thinking who would want to steal my little car so much that the fact that it was behind a gate in the yard and ALARMED wouldn't stop them?? Part of me thinks it is someone we know which makes it worse: they knew we were away, they knew the car would be here, they even opened the gate the way we do (with a brick to keep it open). It is just too scary...

But then part of me is excited to see what God is going to do with this situation: return the car? somehow provide for a new one in a wonderful way? Or as Ljilja says: leave us carless so we walk everywhere and then lose the kilos we so desperately need to lose?? :-) Whatever happens, I know that He is the same God as before I got the phonecall this morning and am not worrying too terribly much about it all... PTL!

1 comment:

Sina said...

I just cannot believe this.. And we just talked about insurances and this type of situations. What horrible luck you are having with cars.. Let's pray that God will change this situation for your benefit, as I know He will. And PTL for the way you are taking this. I wish there was something I could do for you.. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Sina

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...