Thursday, May 14, 2009

Why am I surprised???

The longer I live here, the more amazing it is that anything actually gets done... Especially because of the bureaucracy and amount of paperwork that is needed to get anything done here. My latest adventure is to with Sergej's organisation. With him leaving, it needed to be closed down. Unfortunately, due to factors beyond his control, he started quite late with the shutting down and so when he left, he hadn't finished it. So, he gave me a power of attorney so that I could carry on with the process (otherwise he would have to come back here just to sign a few things, which didn't make any sense!)

So, yesterday I skidaddle down to the court (which is only open to receive people on Wednesdays - gotto love that!) and waited in line. When I got in, the guy took one look at the paperwork that Sergej had prepared and told me there was problems with the wording on the "decision" declaring that the organisation had to close down. And, the way the POA was worded it seemed like it didn't allow me to make the changes... oh dear, please don't tell me Sergej has to come back from the Ukraine???

I decided to go and ask the Notary who did the POA whether I could change the documents. I get to her office and she was soooo nice and explained that I could change the documents, as I had exactly the same powers as Sergej. HOWEVER, Sergej himself didn't have the power to close the organisation down as it was actually founded in America. So, the Americans had to be the ones who wrote the "decision", not me nor Sergej...

Now, right in the beginning, Sergej was told he would need a letter from America by the bookkeeper, but when he went to the court they told he didn't need it. Now, I suspect that the guy at the court didn't realise that the organisation is international and was founded in America and so that was why he gave the wrong advice! But I think it is so funny that even he got it wrong!

And the funny thing is that Sergej managed to get the tax office clearance without the letter (which the Notary said should have been impossible!), but as that is actually the hardest part it makes my life now a lot easier...

Anyway, I have contacted the people in America and they will hopefully send the letter soon...

But as we say here "This is Bosnia". Even they don't know what they are doing!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...