Friday, April 17, 2009

On becoming British

So, I started over a year ago to get the paperwork together and it took a lot of organising (and quite a bit of money!) but it finally came together today! I managed to get British citizenship through my mother who was born in England. I had to go through a little ceremony where I pledged allegiance to the Queen. Here I am saying the oath:
And getting my certificate from the vice-Consul Sheldon Bigsby:
And yes, the Queen was there:
And so were my friends Enisa and Jessica:All in all it has been a long process and now I will apply for the Passport (it will take about 3 weeks), I am still South African heart and soul, and have "dual citizenship" so I haven't given up my South African passport, but I will now be able to travel without having to worry about the hassles of visas. This means a LOT as I need visas for all the neighbouring countries of Bosnia... And I will get the passport in time to not have to get a visa to go to a conference in Hungary at the end of May! 


4 comments:

Shilo said...

CONGRATS, Belinda!

Nicole, Graeme and Janel said...

Yay yay yay!! Congrats!

Mo said...

Woowho! Glad it went smoothly and impressed with the appearance of the Queen! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I too have dual and it makes life a whole lot simpler.......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...