Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter High Tea

Today I decided to celebrate Easter by having people over for a "High Tea" (I become officially British in five days so I figure I better start acting like a pom!) I made three things to eat and each had some symbolism to do with Easter.

Firstly, Hot cross buns- they don't have them here and so it is something I have made most Easters since I have been here, and this year was the best yet! I used my bread maker to make the dough (oh what a great that is!) and I finally figured out the best way to make the crosses! Anyway, this represents the cross and Jesus' death.

Then I heard about something called "empty tombs" from Cindi an American friend:using marshmallows and bread dough (I actually used cinnamon roll dough - again in the bread machine) . You put the dough around the marshmallow which then melts into the dough when you bake it, leaving an "empty tomb" behind - and they are quite yummy! This represents, of course, the resurrection.

The last thing I made was scones - you can't have a High tea without scones I say! I made them heart-shaped to represent the essence of Easter "For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life" (John 3:16)

Here they are pictured below on my new African tablecloth (which I got while I was in South Africa!):
Here are most of us before we dug in:
I just love this pic of all of us: Vanja, Ceca, Aleksanda and I and of course the teddy bear:
Here are Dragana and Stasha, both looking lovely!
We had a great time and it really was a great way to spend the afternoon, and as we ate to remember what Jesus did for us 2000 years ago. Next weekend it is Orthodox Easter so I will get to celebrate again!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...