Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rhodes Memorial and BIG fire...

Well, yesterday morning I went with my new friends, Leana and Victor (I met them at Yolande and Jono's wedding in Hermanus in February) to Rhodes' Memorial for breakfast. Afterwards we went and got a couple of shots on the Lions (I used to play on them growing up). As you can see there is a stunning view over Cape Town from up here. I also took this shot of these trees because I thought they looked really cool - the way the one lot has bent over because of the prevailing South Easterly wind, but kind of protected the others from the wind:It was a good thing we went yesterday morning because last night there was a fire which started just below the Memorial. I saw it actually, as I was coming back with friends from the Waterfront and when we saw it was really huge with big flames. According to the news reports it spread very quickly and they even had to evacuate some people from their homes...although mostly because of smoke, no property was damaged, but two men (vagrants) were badly burned.

Here is a pic of the firefighters trying to fight it I got off the news report: As I write, the fire is still raging, but they are bringing it under control with helicopters. And who knows, maybe my trees aren't even there anymore...

I have looked for more photos online and here are some from news24 and you can see the extent of the blaze - one of Cape Town's worst fires in about 10 years!

2 comments:

Heathcote Safari said...

Glad you're keeping abreast of local news - I had to check your blog to find this out!!!

Belinda Chaplin said...

that's nothing when I am in Banja Luka I find out what is happening THERE from my dad in Cape Town!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...