Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bag lady...

In South Africa, (as in many countries) they have special people who pack your groceries for you. However, we also have a law that states that you have to pay for your plastic bags (in an attempt to cut down on the numbers of plastic bags in the country- go SA Govt!!), so now most people carry their own bags with them: at the till you have to either pay for a bag or hand over one to the "Bag lady" (or guy) who then bags up the groceries for you. I just think this is hilarious...

Anyway, I am still getting used to this whole concept as I am used to Bosnia where the THRUST plastic bags on you at EVERY opportunity. For Christmas, Lea made Ljilja and I our own funky cloth bag which I brought along to use here. So, today at the till the bag lady was looking at the bag in wonder and asked if I had made it... when I said it was a gift, she said "oh what a lovely gift" and then looked at how it was made so she could give it a go!

1 comment:

Shilo said...

Fun! Show us pics! :)
I hear the supermarket in Paraguay doesn't do bags but they let you take their boxes home. I don't love having a ton of cardboard around though so I've been snatching up nice sturdy shopping bags!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...