Monday, June 30, 2008

bizarre...

Ok, I find myself in a twilight zone: it is a bit of a complicated story so sit back and relax...

I am trying to register my car, which is already an ordeal in and of itself, but because it is not in my name (that is another WHOLE story*) it has turned into a bit of a farce... I found out early on that with the power of attorney to drive the car which I have, I can also register the car and I managed to get everything done (insurance, taxes, car check, etc). The final step is to take all the paperwork to the office at the police station and get them to check it all and give you the renewal. Easy, huh!? Well, it would be if the person who "owns" the car on paper doesn't have fines against his name...which have to be paid before you can register the car...

So I phone the dude from whom I bought the car and in whose name it is still, Predrag, and tell him he needs to pay the fine and he says "don't worry I will sort it out". This was THREE WEEKS AGO. My car needs to be registered by this Wednesday so I think, ok I have time, don't panic... Anyway, 4 more trips to the police station to see if the fine has been removed and countless phonecalls to Predrag later... this is where we are: Predrag told me early on that it wasn't actually him who had gotten the fine, but some other guy who was also driving another one of his cars on a power of attorney and that chap had said he would take care of it. So Friday I asked Predrag to try and get me the receipt from the other guy (I can get the fine removed immediately from the system if I have the receipt). He told me today that the guy has lost the receipt. I said give me the guy's number so I can ask him myself - (I had asked before and he wouldn't give it to me for some reason) and he finally gave it to me.

Now, this is where it turns BIZARRE. I phone the guy. Cvetko, and tell him who I am and why I am calling him. Then he says "What car?", "Who is Predrag?" "I don't know WHAT you are talking about". I think that somehow Predrag has given me the wrong Cvetko and phone him and tell him this guy hasn't any idea what I am talking about and maybe he gave me the wrong guy? And he says "no, that is the guy - and I don't know what he is on about because he knows all about it: don't worry I will phone him and sort it out and call you back". Which he still has to do 4 hours later...

So, someone is lying and I am not sure who, and I am not sure why, and it looks like I will just have to go and pay the fine if I am to register my car by Wednesday... and I really feel like I have fallen into a twilight zone?!!

(*when I bought the car last year I only had one year to go before I got my long stay visa and so I was going to wait until I got that and put it into my name, but now that I am not going to get it I am going to put it into Ljilja's name - but she is in the US and so it will have to wait until she gets back!!)

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

I miss Bosnia... America is so freaking boring...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...