Monday, March 17, 2008

I lost a fin tonight...

That should read "I lost a Fin tonight." :-) There is a group of 5 Fins here right now to hold seminars and meetings in Tuzla and here in Banja Luka. One of them is staying with me and Ljilja and well, our Finnish guest went for a 20 minute jog around the block and got lost. About 2 minutes after he left I realised that I hadn't given him any address or telephone number (as I usually do) in case he got lost. But I thought "oh it will be alright". Also about 2 minutes after he left he thought "I should go back to get my phone... oh it will be alright"...

Anyway, I started to get worried about an hour in and after an hour and 15 minutes Ljilja was about to mount a rescue-drive-around-the-block mission and I was even joking that we should phone Miika (our Finnish colleague who is responsible for the group) and tell him we had lost his guest... when who should call, but Miika... to tell us where Marko was... in a betting shop about 2 minutes drive away, so we jumped in the car and went and got him!

It turned out after he had realised he was completely lost, he had gone into the betting shop and asked to use the phone, which being friendly Bosnian people they let him use no problem and didn't even want any money in return!! He phoned a friend in Finland who looked up Miika's phone number on the internet and then he phoned Miika, who called us! All's well that end's well... I was never worried that he would be hurt or attacked, as Banja Luka is a very safe place, but I was just concerned about how we would go about finding a lost Fin at 10pm at night...

Marko Mesiaislehto, "still alive"

Other than that it has been fun having him (and for those of you who are thinking anything - he is married and has a 5 month old little girl) and the meeting tonight that the Fins held at the Fellowship was really great - despite the low turnout - and those that came were really blessed.

But needless to say we won't be letting any other guests (Fins or any other nationality!) go out with out at least our address and phone number!!!!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...