Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ljilja and English...and "chushni"

Ljilja made a good friend,Corina, on the last team that was here, and has been learning more and more English through corresponding with her every day. She has of course also been making some great mistakes (as we all do when learning a language) and so I thought I would share some of them with you...

The first is so cute: instead of cell phone she was writing "self phone" which actually makes sense if you think about it!! And sounds the same if you say it fast...

Next: she was trying to say "peaceful" and because Bosnian is very phonetic, she spelt it the way that they would: "pissful" :-)

And now to be fair, I have to share my latest language blunder: We were at a braai (barbecue) at the Balasevic's and their son fell asleep in his pram. They were wanting to put him somewhere out of the sun. I said "zasto ga ne chushni tamo" (why don't you put him over there), but the word I used for "put over" was "chushni" which I then found out (when everyone started laughing) is NOT a word you use for children! You can use it to say "put that thing over there"- but not for people!! Oh well, you live and learn!

1 comment:

Nicole, Graeme and Janel said...

ROFL! 'Pissful'... ha ha ha... Ag, shame, I shouldn't really laugh, but that's just classic!

Please give her my love,
N x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...