Saturday, December 02, 2006

Whistle-stop trip...and ooooooppppssss

Well, Ljilja and I went to Zenica (a 2-3 hour trip each way) and back in less than 36 hours. We had EUS (IFES) meetings there and had a great time with everyone...

We almost didn't get to go as my car has been giving me hassles with starting all month (since it started getting cold) and I didn't want to risk getting stuck in Zenica... And on Tuesday it wouldn't start at all... The mechanic could only come out on Thursday (as it wouldn't start at all we couldn't get to him what with the hassle of towing it!) PTL he found the problem and fixed it - one of the cables had burnt out - and charged me all of R100 (about 10Euros or $14) for coming out and doing it - got to love Bosnia!

On Friday we drove down with my friend Janice (who was staying with us for a couple of days - we love having her!) and put her on the bus to Sarajevo (where she lives). We then had our meetings with the other students and people working with students until late on Friday night and again on Saturday morning until lunch time when Ljilja and I left them to come back before dark... I have one rule about driving in Bosnian roads - it is better in the day time...

Somewhere on the way back I realised how Bosnian I have become when I overtook a truck on a solid white line (I could see way ahead!!!) - everyone here does it. And then of course right there there was a Policeman!! Ooooooooppppsssss!!!!! LUCKILY he was on the other side of the road, but he had obviously seen me as with hand signals (like only Bosnians can do) he indicated "what were you doing??" and "oh well you are going the other direction, but if I caught you you would have got a big fine" (yip I got all that from his hands...) So PHEW! This time I got away with it - but I will not do it again!!!!

2 comments:

Jana said...

haha! wow...that was bosnian of you... i love that when i met you, you still hadn't received a ticket. so much for that...

Belinda C said...

yip - I have acclimated a bit much with regards to driving I think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...