Wednesday, December 13, 2006

EUFOR...and Christmas parties

EUFOR is the acronym for the foreign troops stationed in Bosnia to keep the peace. They are mostly now from the EU although there are some hangers on from elsewhere. On Friday night I went to a Christmas party at my neighbour who is in the EUPM (who monitor the Police) and he had invited a whole bunch of people from the EUFOR base. I went by myself and barely knew him (met him in the local shop) and his wife not at all, so it was introduce myself and get chatting...

Anyway, I was chatting to one guy form EUFOR who told me that he went quite often to Sarajevo and so of course I said "well so do I". I then ask him how he gets there, thinking train, bus or car and wanting to commiserate with him how long it takes... Silly me, this is the army - he goes down by helicopter, poor chap!

Everyone from EUFOR is here short term - longest is usually only 6 months - so when they asked me "how long have you been here?" and I said 6 years there was a lot of drawing of breath (and probably people were also thinking - is she crazy??). I also realised that I do look really young when someone - shocked at the fact that I was here 6 years already- asked "so how old were you when you came? 16? "...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...