Saturday, May 13, 2006

Computers... can't live without them...

Well, after my last post I took my trusty laptop so the guy could look at the DVD player. When we got it to him, it wouldn't boot up at all (I jokingly said that the laptop was shy and didn't want a stranger looking at it- the guy thought I was crazy!!). But I must admit that from having a computer with a faulty DVD player to not having a computer at all was a bit of a shock. Luckily I was able to send it with a friend to Sarajevo to have it looked at there by the "official" service agents from Compaq. They examined it and said that it was the motherboard and that it wasn't worth my while replacing that - as not only would it cost a great deal (almost as much as a new laptop) but that it would have to be ordered and would take a long while to get here...

Now, this luckily didn't phase me much as through a series of circumstances (my parents paying for my tickets home meaning I didn't have to use the money for that and getting a large donation) I actually had some money in reserve - kind of like the Lord knew :-) I didn't know if I had enough to get a new laptop, so decided to go investigating here to see how much one would cost... and whether it was worthwhile getting it here or waiting and getting one sent from the US like I did last time (but being without a computer is HARD!)

So Ljilja and I trekked around town and discovered a few computer shops we didn't know about. Each of them had good offers, and I could just about afford them, but none of them sat right. We were then on our way home when I saw a billboard for a computer shop we didn't know about and as it was on our way home we decided to check it out. We walked in and saw their display and there was a smart little DELL with all the trimmings for 300KM (about R1000) less than any of the other places for brands which are not as well known (1400KM or R5400 in total). Also the guys in the shop are willing to go out of their way to help me - even saying they will help me recover stuff off my old harddrive (as the motherboard is what crashed they figure they can do this, just have to get it back from Sarajevo!) and just selling themselves by being genuine. And these are the aftersales guys as well - so I know that I am in good hands...

Anyway the end of the story is that I decided to go ahead and buy here in Bosnia so I could have the computer NOW and I now have a really SWEET Dell computer - which is a complete blessing from the Lord. I need it for so many things -only this 10 days not having a computer showed me how much I rely on it - not just for staying in touch, but right now for watching movies for the film nights, for putting lessons together for the English club, for translation - my dictionary is on it - and just so many things!!

{Sorry Donovan, didn't go Mac again (maybe next time!) }

4 comments:

LeAnne said...

i'm starting to think macs are highly over-rated... oh well... live and learn. glad you were able to get a new computer. i would put a smiley face bbut the chift key and apple key on my mac just randomly stop working which means i can't do the work i got on specifically to do... go mac go... when am i going to learn to stop listening to people and go with my gut... oh well

Donovan said...

Some people never learn. Well, I hope this one is better than the last.

as for LeAnne's shift key - the only computers that won't have a few problems are the imaginary one that salesmen talk about

LeAnne said...

i thought the almighty mac was beyond superior... :) Oh look, my keys work today!!

I like my Mac, I was just frustrated yesterday becuase I had work to do that I couldn't do because my keys didn't work... I am glad I got a Mac, and when it works, I like it very very very much.

I just don't like problems that don't seem to have a cause nor a solution...

Belinda C said...

I was very happy with my last computer - it at least worked 99% of the time...

I am so far very happy with this one too - and with the back up service which is in Banja Luka (not in the US!!! or in Visoko...) so I think it was a clever move...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...