Monday, November 28, 2005

good news day...

I started in May and worked on my "borovak" (or visa) pretty solidly until the beginning of August - doing all sort of things (many that turned out to be unnecessary) and then have been waiting since then - handing in more things as necessary and going once a month to extend my temporary stay paper. I went in today to see if the final "rjesenje" (or decision) had arrived and at first they said it hadn't - and I was getting all depressed again - when the head of the section comes out and says that it was actually here... and not just the "rjesenje" but also the actual visa "sticker"!!! (this means that I can travel!!).

The funniest/worst part of this process was definitely when the person in the police said I needed to get a work permit and then the work permit people said I couldn't because I was a volunteer and then the police said I couldn't be a volunteer because I had a work permit (from last year when they MADE me get it). But in the end we managed to work it out - and because they were all so nice and sweet to me (well on the whole) I took them a BIG chocolate as a thank-you... (it is NOT a bribe as it came after it had already been done... the fact that hopefully they will be as nice if not nicer to me next year is not the point :-)

Anyway, that was the start of the good news... Ljilja (my roommate) finally passed her exam which she has literally been trying to pass for over a year. I will write another time about exam writing in this country because it is one of the things I am grateful for - that I don't have study here!! (the system here is WORSE than appalling) but that is for another time...this is good news day...

Then Ljilja and I popped into visit Sinisa (the pastor I work with) who has been trying to get credit for a new place to stay (they are renting) and because he doesn't have proof of income (it comes from donations from abroad) it was something he never thought possible. But today he found out that the bank will give him financing - so now he just needs to find an apartment!

So, PRAISE THE LORD for all of the above... it is really a GOOD NEWS DAY!!

1 comment:

LeAnne said...

Congrats on your visa! We alll know the chocolate ws just an early bribe for when you have to go through the process NEXT year... c'mon Belinda... :) Glad you had a good news day. We all need those every once in a while :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...